Tottenham fail with £31m bid for Brazilian winger Malcom

Premier League club Tottenham Hotspur have had a bid of £31m rejected for Bordeaux and Brazil’s highly sought after winger Malcom.

Malcom
Brazilian winger Malcom is being chased by a host of Europes top clubs after spending only one season with current club Bordeaux

Malcom, who only signed for French Ligue 1 side Bordeaux in the summer of 2016, is wanted by a number of Europes top clubs including, Tottenham, Arsenal and Manchester United.

Brazilian publication UOL Esporte claim that Spurs have made the first move in the pursuit for Malcom by submitting a £31m bid, which was immediately turned down by Bordeaux.

The bid was for 90% of the players rights, as the other 10% is currently held by a third party company. This maybe an issue due to Premier League and FA rules against third-party ownership of players.

However, we expect Tottenham to come back in with an improved bid, but it may again fall short of Bordeaux valuation of the player which currently stands at €50m.

Tottenham will also face strong competition for the player from Premier League rivals Manchester United and Arsenal. Reports claim that both parties have already opened talks, with Man Utd favourites to land the 20-year-old wing wizard.

It is understood United are willing to meet the players €50m valuation, and are also willing to loan the player straight back to Bordeaux until the end of the season.

Malcom, who joined French side Bordeaux in the summer of 2016 form Brazilian side Corinthians, has made 67 appearances scoring 15 goals in the process. He has represented Brazil at U20 and U23 level, but is yet to win a full cap for the Brazilian national team.

It is hoped a move to a bigger European side will bring him to the attention of the Brazilian national team, helping him make the next step in his international career.